Stolen Scooters Google Map

Post alerts about stolen scooters and other criminal mischief
rob
tinasso emeritus

Stolen Scooters Google Map

Postby rob » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:03 pm

I'm working on a Google map to depict the location of scooter thefts and scooter jackings (yes, they sadly do occur).

I've found info. on quite a few from scoot.net and local lists which can be seen here:
http://www.wmasa.org/stolen/

If you are aware of one that is not listed, please provide the following info:
-Year/Make/Model
-Color and other distinguishing characteristics
-Date Stolen
-Address (or nearest intersection) it was stolen from
-VIN & Tag (if available)
-Description of what happened

I'm hoping this will highlight areas where more attention is to be paid and any possible trends.

Please feel free to provide feedback as well. I'm hoping to add additional functionality in the future to allow users to add their own incidents and query by date/time.

If anyone's interested in assisting in this effort, please contact me.
Last edited by rob on Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:51 pm

Great work Rob. Would it be possible to add tothe text in the caption the approximate location of each incident?

rob
tinasso emeritus

Postby rob » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:04 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:Great work Rob. Would it be possible to add tothe text in the caption the approximate location of each incident?

that's what the markers indicate. i'm actually finding the location, then getting the lat./long. coordinates to use for the markers.

i don't want to put too much effort beyond what's there at this time, b/c it all needs to be database driven, which i don't have the skills to do myself.

SpecialX200

Postby SpecialX200 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:09 pm

It'd be cool if you could color-code the scooter jackings a different color than thefts and have a color key.
freno a disco!

rob
tinasso emeritus

Postby rob » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:13 pm

yeah, that's one of the things i want to do. also have recovered bikes be a different color. and images. and searchable. and refined by date range, and time-of-day, and...well, there's a lot that could be done.

AirborneVespa

Postby AirborneVespa » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:50 pm

rob wrote:yeah, that's one of the things i want to do. also have recovered bikes be a different color. and images. and searchable. and refined by date range, and time-of-day, and...well, there's a lot that could be done.

And whether or not the owner was a chick or a dude and, if a chick, if she has nice ta-tas as I'd be more willing to go help find the scooter.

Your ta-tas suck, that's why I haven't bothered looking for the LI.
byelaya smert

rob
tinasso emeritus

Postby rob » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:06 pm

right.

man, i haven't updated that thing in a while. probably one last update, then put it to bed...unless there's someone else that wants to maintain it.

Return to “Neighborhood Watch”