Genuine Buddy 125 (North Arlington)

Post alerts about stolen scooters and other criminal mischief
seema

Re: Genuine Buddy 125 (North Arlington)

Postby seema » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:51 pm

imjuanpablo wrote:Not really true......Spiny Norman and I had to drop the fork on his Allstate in the parking lot of the hotel at WKRP b/c we couldn't break the column lock.

Huh. All of my scooters have come with broken column locks. Maybe I'm just really unlucky.

Tedford

Postby Tedford » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:46 am

FourthandEye wrote:Regarding the Wardman Park video... do Buddy scooters not have wheel lock? They rolled it away quite easily after getting the chain off.

My Vespa has wheel lock and I always assumed that even if thieves managed to bust my kryptonite lock they'd need to hoist the scooter into a pickup truck to get away with it.

It doesn't look like they attempted to break anything; they simply laid it down, slipped the chain off and rolled it away. It's safe to assume that the column wasn't locked.

You would be surprised at the number of people who don't lock their columns, vintage and modern scooterists alike, relying only on their chain to help deter theft.
Ey-o, o-ey.

spoffy

Postby spoffy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:18 am

Right here. While I always column lock my motorcycle, if my scooter's chained (and I chain much tighter than that video guy,) I rarely column lock it.

I probably should, but does anyone really think a locked column is going to stop anyone savvy enough to get past the chain/lock? If there were two of thieves, they could just stand it on the rear wheel and walk it away—it'd be an inconvenience at best.
mille posti

Tedford

Postby Tedford » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:38 am

spoffy wrote:Right here. While I always column lock my motorcycle, if my scooter's chained (and I chain much tighter than that video guy,) I rarely column lock it.

I probably should, but does anyone really think a locked column is going to stop anyone savvy enough to get past the chain/lock? If there were two of thieves, they could just stand it on the rear wheel and walk it away—it'd be an inconvenience at best.

Re: rolling it away on the rear wheel: There used to be three Metros locked to a pole here in South Philly, two by their front tires and one by the back and I kept saying to myself, "Someone's going to just pull off the front tires and take those bikes." Sure enough, within a couple of weeks one scooter sat there accompanied by two extra front tires.

I agree that it would only be an inconvenience to someone who really wanted to take it, but many thefts are ones of opportunity. The more you do to make it less convenient, the less of a chance someone will think "Hey, this thing's totally unlocked--I'll just take it for a spin!" Chain, column lock, cover (if storing overnight).
Ey-o, o-ey.

FourthandEye

Postby FourthandEye » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:22 pm

I don't park my Vespa outside overnight. I have underground parking in a condo building. The garage has security cameras but our security guards don't really watch them diligently real-time.

I think breaching the garage then pushing a Vespa with the column lock on up two levels of parking is probably unlikely. But I've decided to get a lever lock too. This will pinch the breaks down making the bike even hard to use. Plus it's bright yellow on the grips and thereby a visible theft deterrent. My fear with the column lock is that thieves aren't aware of it and will still try to steal the bike, get frustrated and drop it. I think a visible deterrent that will make them not bother to tamper with the scooter at all is better...

Of course when I park the scooter out in public I'm using a kryptonite chain on top of everything else.

Tedford

Postby Tedford » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:46 pm

FourthandEye wrote:I think a visible deterrent that will make them not bother to tamper with the scooter at all is better...

Definitely the best plan of action, to present something as not being worth the trouble.
Ey-o, o-ey.

Return to “Neighborhood Watch”