Locking up your MC

For DC-area motorcats and rockers
Susan

Locking up your MC

Postby Susan » Wed May 21, 2014 9:49 am

....I'm asking for a friend.

No, I actually am. I am pretty sure I'm comfortable between a disc lock and comprehensive insurance for things that are heavier than a scooter. Thinking about putting a ground anchor in the car port behind my house so I don't have to keep the ninja in the garage.

But beyond column lock and disc lock, does anyone take any other sort of locking measures when parking in the city?

Edit - I should be specific I guess: talking about an older BMW.
it's a fez
I wear a fez now
fezzes are cool

spoffy

Re: Locking up your MC

Postby spoffy » Wed May 21, 2014 10:08 am

I have a Xena disc lock (with shrieky alarm), as well as a Dowco Guardian motorcycle cover.

I figure, folks are less likely to meddle with things they can't easily see. And if the cover doesn't put them off, then hopefully sudden motion-activated shrieking will.

Then again, I live in a fairly quiet/low-crime-risk area, so my crackpot theory might be completely flawed. And I've always wished I lived somewhere that ground anchors were an option.
mille posti

Susan

Postby Susan » Wed May 21, 2014 10:35 am

Oh, I think disc lock with shrieky alarm is probably going to be the best suggestion. This person wants to ride his old beemer downtown, but is worried about theft. I tend to think that if he's somewhere that's as public as in front of the cat then the risk of people coming and picking it up is low, but that's not a great answer to the "how do you lock it up" question.

Hadn't thought about the shrieky alarm component. Nice one.
it's a fez
I wear a fez now
fezzes are cool

spoffy

Postby spoffy » Wed May 21, 2014 11:58 am

I purchased this one, after much anxious measuring-and-remeasuring to ensure it would fit my disk.

Seems small but solid, and reasonably priced, so no complaints.
mille posti

tony

Postby tony » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:02 pm

Ain't no thief got time for some shitty old BMW. If they are really worried, park it through a gate. Will take a thief forever to get those damn cylinders back out again.
2011 CORSA BIke! ct90.tumblr.com

JV

Postby JV » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:27 pm

I run a cable or chain with lock between front and rear wheels if its gonna be parked for a long time, and lock the forks in a "turned position" when possible.

Makes it nigh impossible to roll.....statement of the obvious.....but a couple burly guys can always lift and and carry it still.

fried okra

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:52 am

I used to use a Kryptonite New York lock to keep my rear/front wheel locked to a bike rack or parking meter...

I figure a BMW would be hard to pick up, since it's as heavy as a small tractor and slippery as hell from all the leaking oil.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

Return to “Motorcycle BS”